Little known fact ... we started out life as cattle ranchers. After becoming concerned about our impact on the environment we decided to do something about it.
We saw the perfect opportunity in Central California, where orchards of naturally replenishing almond trees thrive in the Mediterranean-like climate. Almonds are not only naturally delicious and nutritious, they’ve become increasingly popular as a wholesome, gluten-free plant-based protein, with a naturally sweet, silky milk that’s an excellent dairy substitute.
So we made the change.
While growing almonds sustainably has it's challenges, most notably water consumption, we feel fortunate to the power to improve the environment.
In addition to the various solar arrays we have on our properties, over the past twenty years we have also:
- Planted alternate forage for honey bees at our almond orchard
- Invested heavily in pollinator research
- Planted and maintain habitat for our honey bees that is free from pesticides and insecticides
- Started the transition to battery-powered vehicles on our farm with the goal of being carbon neutral
- We have reduced the amount of water we consume through drip irrigation,and we continue to seek improvement wherever possible